March 22, 2021
In light of the recent violent attacks against the Asian American community, the OHA has done several things to support our friends and neighbors. We have signed onto a statement with fellow professional societies affiliated with the American Council of Learned Societies, decrying the violence. You can find the statement here: https://acls.org/ACLS-News/ACLS-News/March-2021/ACLS-Statement-Condemning-Anti-Asian-Violence. The Council has also gathered together resources that we might rely on as we stand firm against racial injustice pitted toward Asian and Pacific Islander communities. They include:
- For an historical view, see this video from the Museum of Chinese in the Americas (MOCA): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H97XNAngaXQ.
You can also:
- Support Georgia’s Asian-American communities
- Anyone experiencing (or witnessing) violence or hate can report it to Asian Americans Advancing Justice – AAJC here: https://www.standagainsthatred.org/report
- Follow Stop AAPI Hate, a national coalition addressing anti-Asian hate amid the COVID-19 pandemic: https://stopaapihate.org/
- Watch this event, that took place March 23rd, focused on anti-Asian violence and Black-Asian solidarity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGpo9419ViE
- If you have been the victim of this violence and racism, post your stories here: https://www.mocanyc.org/get-involved/racism-response/.
- A Letter to the Jewish Community from an Asian American Jew by Mira Baum
- Asian Jews Are Suffering. We Need You to Listen. by Rebecca Kuss
- Some Thoughts as a Korean Heritage Female after the Atlanta Shootings by JeeYeun Lee
If you have other resources you think we should include, please contact the Executive Office at gro.y1618921509rotsi1618921509hlaro1618921509@aho1618921509. We will continue to post everything we receive on this page.