OHA in Cuba
The Oral History Association is going to Cuba!
December 13 – 20, 2019!
*** The OHA is aware of recent US policy changes regarding travel to Cuba- our trip has not been cancelled.
Cuba is a country unlike any other in the world, and our members have chronicled its complicated history, politics, and culture for decades. Today we invite you to join our premier, all-inclusive week long research trip to this fascinating island country. Our tour will take us from Havana to Cienfuegos to Trinidad, where we will meet with distinguished professors of history, economics, sociology from the University of Havana, visit museums with renowned art historians, and enjoy music at private concerts with Cuba’s foremost jazz and trova artists. We will hear the stories of Afro-Cuban activists, visit the private studios of celebrated artists, and drink and dine at the new paladars (private restaurants), introduced as part of Raul Castro’s economic reforms.
Your journey will be hosted by Charles Bittner, who has brought thousands of academics, writers, diplomats, and physicians to Cuba. Charles teaches sociology at St. John’s University in NYC, where his work focuses on cultural and political institutions. Charles served as Academic Liaison for The Nation magazine for almost two decades, where, among other responsibilities, he directed the magazine’s renowned Cuba travel program. Since leaving the magazine, he has arranged and hosted educationally-centered tours of Cuba for various academic and cultural organizations, including The New Republic, The Authors Guild, History News Network, Volunteers in Medicine, Galeria Cubana in Boston, Acoustic Guitar magazine, and Drums magazine. He’s traveled over 30 times to Cuba in the last six years.
Travel to Cuba is authorized under a “support for the Cuban people” or “professional research” license.
A portion of the proceeds will help support the OHA.
Have more questions about the trip and its itinerary?
Contact Charles Bittner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-833-1435.
Have questions about registering?
Contract the Oral History Association office at email@example.com or 615-898-2544.
Double Occupancy (per person)*: $3695
Single Occupancy: $4195
* One person in the double occupancy must be a member in order for both to qualify for membership pricing.
Double Occupancy (per person): $3995
Single Occupancy $4495
INCLUDED IN COST
- Five nights at The Hotel NH Capri La Habana, a four star hotel in the Vedado district.
- Two nights at Casa Particulares (Bed and Breakfasts) in Trinidad
- Daily breakfast
- Lunches and dinners as listed on the itinerary
- All local ground transportation
- Speaker fees
- Admission to all museums and public buildings listed in itinerary
- Coordination of all listed activities
- Pre-trip departure information
- Compliance with US Treasury Department regulations
- All other activities and events listed on the itinerary
NOT INCLUDED IN COST
- Airfare to/from Havana, and airline baggage fees
- Cuban visa
- Hotel expenses (mini bar, room service, laundry fees, etc.)
- Meals other than those listed on itinerary
- Trip cancellation insurance*
- Any deviation from the itinerary
- Gratuities to the Cuban tour guide and driver
- A $1,500 deposit per person is due in order to register for the trip. This is due with your registration.
- Full payment will be due September 1, 2019
Register online here: https://oha.memberclicks.net/cuba-trip#/
Make your final payment online here: https://oha.memberclicks.net/cuba-trip-final-payment-form#/
*Please note that you will have to log in to your membership account in order to register. If you are not a member, you will have to create an account and log in. If you are registering under double occupancy, please register the second traveler as a guest on the online registration form.
You can also pay by check by filling out and mailing in this Registration Form.