OHA Archives Interest Group (OHA-AIG)
The Oral History Association Archives Interest Group (OHA-AIG) aims to provide a forum for discussing best practices and generating interest in the intersections between Oral History and Archives.
Members will engage by regularly meeting to share their experiences with each other, identifying topics of interest or inquiry, and taking action to advocate for or disseminate their findings to the OHA, information professionals, and allied communities.
- 2013━ OHA Archives Interest Group (OHA-AIG) first met at OHA Annual Meeting in Cleveland Ohio. The group has met consistently at annual meetings since that time.
- 2013-2014━OHA-AIG assisted in the evolution of OHA Metadata Task Force.
- 2016━During OHA Annual Meeting in Long Beach California, OHA-AIG initiated a bi-monthly informal discussion forum to facilitate more frequent communication between OHA annual meetings. The group has held bi-monthly conference meetings since that time to discuss aspects of oral history archiving practice, share common concerns and expertise, and present particular projects.
- 2017-2018━David Olson of Columbia University acted as convener for OHA-AIG forum and coordinated conference calls.
- 2018━At OHA Annual Meeting in Montreal Heidi Abbey Moyer of Pennsylvania State University, and Tina Wright, of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, volunteered to become co-conveners (title was changed by the group during 2019 to more formal “co-chairs”) for 2019.
- 2019━OHA-AIG members were invited to volunteer for the OHA Archives Principles & Best Practices Task Force and helped to draft an Archives Principles & Best Practices document to be presented at the OHA Annual Meeting in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Areas of Practice Discussed
- Audio preservation storage and standards
- Automated transcription
- Collection management, tools, and systems
- Communicating effectively with sound
- Digital preservation
- Multilevel indexing with OHMS
- Policies of redaction
- Recording equipment
- Update from the Metadata Task Force
- Update from the OHA Archives Principles & Best Practices Task Force
- Version control
- Video preservation
Conference calls are held during the second week (where possible) of every other month starting each year in January. The exact day and time are determined by polling members in advance.
Meetings typically include a Discussion of Practice or a Presentation followed by a group “Business Meeting.” Discussion topics are determined by group interest, may feature a guest speaker or member of the group, and are coordinated by the Co-Chairs.
The OHA-AIG invites all who are interested to join the OHA-AIG Google Group. Please send an email to email@example.com for discussion and conference call updates. Or, email the Co-Chairs Tim Babcock at Penn State University (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jennifer Snyder, Smithsonian Institutions’ Archives of American Art (email@example.com).